the staging post
Courageous People Never Give Up!
The staging post
The Staging Post follows two Afghan Hazara refugees, Muzafar and Khadim. Stuck in Indonesia after Australia 'stopped the boats' and facing many years in limbo, they built a community and started the school which inspired a refugee education revolution.
A real-life, real-time, multi-platform documentary. The Staging Post is about friendship, connection and the power of community.
A truly moving piece of cinema. Nick Valentine
Uplifting and truly unforgettable. Philippa Byers
Full of wisdom and humour. Eileen O'Brien, Canberra
Inspiring and moving. A must see for every Australian. Kathy King
A truly remarkable story. Margaret Hayman
Lifts the spirit; Packed with positivity, potential, possibility, patience, hope, community, cooperation, love and friendship. Anne Hilton
Inspirational. A reminder of what is possible when people work together to turn away from fear towards hope. Anni Webster
Touching the nerve of human experience. A must see! Marion Rose Le
Your work is beautiful and shows exactly the kind of message we would like people to hear, refugees as resilient, contributing members of society. Susan Bird, UNHCR Thailand
We have begun filming the second episode of The Staging Post. Due for release in 2019.
Refugees resettled from the CRLC are integrating and succeeding at far greater levels than regular refugees and the second episode will include these stories, alongside the ongoing situation in Indonesia.
Of the 12 children resettled from the school, 11 have entered directly into their age-appropriate classes. Only two have required English-Second-Language support.
Families are being met at the airport (like Muzafar's family in the first episode). They are being guided through the integration process with fantastic results
In two weeks Tahira moved herself from Saskatoon to Toronto, enrolled her kids in school, had their medical and dental checks, found a job, rented a flat and transferred herself from one government program to another. She will begin her degree at York University shortly.
In just over two years Muzafar's wife, Nagina, has finished the first year of an education degree at Adelaide University with a credit average.
Khadim, Muzafar, Natiqa, Amir, Matin, Fatima and more all have similar stories of success.
There is an 'institutional knowledge' developed too.
The teachers and students at the CRLC have watched their friends succeed and now know what is possible. At the same time, the resettled refugees are transferring knowledge back to the refugees in Indonesia. They are training their friends for when they get their chance.
Khadim is filming the CRLC graduates in the USA and Canada in February/March 2018. Jolyon and Muzafar will follow the Australian and Indonesian stories.
You can help us continue to follow this truely remarkable, real-life, real-time story by making a tax-deductible donation at Documentary Australia Foundation.
Thank you for accompanying us. This story has a long way to go yet!
Like us to come to a cinema near you or want to hold a community or school screening? Please contact us to arrange.
- APR 19 Thurs The Sun Theatre, Yarraville (CINEMA SCREENING) TICKETS
- MAY 14 Mon UTS, Sydney. Lecture, tutorial and screening. LECTURE
- MAY 16 Wed Sydney University Social Work LECTURE
- MAY 17 Thurs Forest Hill College, Welcome Dinner Project FUNDRAISER
- MAY 18 Fri UTS, Sydney. Lecture, tutorial and screening. LECTURE
- MAR 21 Wed George Brown College, Toronto. 1pm COMMUNITY
- MAR 18 Sun Star of the Sea Parish Ctr, Redland City. 2:30pm DIRECTIONS
- JULY 30 Sun Avoca Beach Picture Theatre, Avoca, Australia COMMUNITY
- JULY 29 Sat ACMI, Melbourne, Australia COMPLETED
- JULY 28 Fri Palace Nova Cinemas, Adelaide, Australia FULL HOUSE
- JULY 27 Thurs Dendy Canberra City, Canberra, Australia FULL HOUSE
- JULY 26 Wed University of Technology, Sydney, Australia COMMUNITY
- JULY 25 Tues Dendy Newtown, Sydney, Australia SOLD OUT
- JULY 22 Sat New Farm Cinemas, Brisbane, Australia SOLD OUT
- JULY 06 Thu Dendy Cinemas, Canberra, Australia SOLD OUT
- JULY 02 Sun The Royal Exchange, Newcastle, Australia COMMUNITY
- JULY 01 Sat Glebe Town Hall, Glebe, NSW Australia FULL HOUSE
- JUNE 29 Fri Lort Smith Animal Hospital, Melbourne, Australia COMMUNITY
- JUNE 23 Sun The BrisWest Centre, Brisbane, Australia FULL HOUSE
- JUNE 18 Sun Cinema Nova, Carlton, Victoria, Australia SOLD OUT
- JUNE 17 Sun NSW State Library, Sydney, Australia SOLD OUT
- SEPT 11 Mon Notre Dame University, Sydney COMPLETED
- SEPT 12 Tues Sydney University, Sydney COMPLETED
- SEPT 22 Fri World Bank Office, Martin Place COMPLETED
- OCT 5 Thurs Powerhouse Youth Theatre, Fairfield COMPLETED
- OCT 6 Fri All Hallows’ School Hall, Brisbane City COMPLETED
- OCT 7 Sat BCC Cinemas Capalaba, QLD COMPLETED
- OCT 15 Sun CISARUA HOMECOMING SCREENING, Indonesia. 4pm 350 ATTENDEES
- OCT 15 Sun CISARUA HOMECOMING SCREENING, Indonesia. 8pm COMPLETED
- OCT 16 Mon Kineforum, Taman Ismail Marizuki, Jakarta. 11am COMPLETED
- OCT 16 Mon Kineforum, Taman Ismail Marizuki, Jakarta. 1pm COMPLETED
- OCT 16 Mon Kinosaurus, Jl. Kemang Raya 8B, Jakarta. 7pm COMPLETED
- OCT 17 Tues Jakarta Foreign Correspondents Club, Jakarta COMPLETED
- OCT 18 Wed Ascham School, Edgecliff, Sydney COMPLETED
- OCT 19 Thurs Save The Children Office, Melbourne STAFF SCREENING
- NOV 23 Thurs New Farm Cinemas, Brisbane COMPLETED
- NOV 24 Fri Elsternwick Classic Cinemas, Melbourne COMPLETED
- NOV 25 Sat Dendy Cinemas, Canberra COMPLETED
- NOV 29 Wed Holroyd High School, Yr 9 & 11 COMPLETED
- NOV 29 Wed Dendy Cinemas, Newtown COMPLETED
- NOV 30 Thurs Milpera State High School COMPLETED
- DEC 1 Fri Mercury Cinemas, Adelaide COMPLETED
- DEC 3 Sun Deakin Cinemas, Mildura COMPLETED
- DEC 4 Mon Cinema Pasadiso, Perth COMPLETED
- DEC 4 Mon 10th Asia Pacific Third Sector Conference COMPLETED
- DEC 7 Thurs Ascham School, Edgecliff, Sydney STANDING OVATION
- DEC 13 Mon Australian International School, Jakarta SCHOOL
- JAN 17 Wed ACICIS Study Indonesia, Jakarta EDUCATION
- JAN 18 Thurs Screenwave International Film Fest, Coffs Harbour COMPLETED
- FEB 12 Mon Refugee Alternatives @ Melbourne Uni. 6PM COMPLETED
- FEB 20 Tues Refugee Action Committee, Canberra (Extract) COMPLETED